NATIONAL PROGRAMME FOR HEALTH CARE OF ELDERLY(NPHCE)
National Programme for Health Care of the Elderly(NPHCE)
HOSPITALS FOR SENIOR CITIZENS
Government of India is implementing National Programme for Health Care of the Elderly (NPHCE) with a view to provide dedicated health care facilities to the elderly people.
The programme is State oriented and basic thrust of the programme is to provide dedicated health care facilities to the senior citizens (>60 year of age) at various level of primary, secondary and tertiary health care. The programme envisages establishment of 10 bedded geriatric wards at District Hospitals and Department of Geriatrics with 30 bedded geriatric wards at Government Medical Colleges/Hospitals sanctioned under the programme. As on date, 599 districts of 35 States/UTs and 19 Regional Geriatric Centres (RGCs) in 18 States/ UTs have been sanctioned to provide various health care services to elderly people under the programme.
The details of State-wise/UT-wise districts approved under NPHCE are given at Annexure-‘A’. The details of Regional Geriatric Centres are given at Annexure ‘B’.
In addition, this Ministry is supporting establishment of 2 National Centres of Ageing (NCAs) each in premises of All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi and Madras Medical College (MMC), Chennai.
The details of facilities being provided/to be provided at District Hospitals/Government Medical Colleges/Hospitals under NPHCE are as follows:-
• Dedicated Geriatric OPD services, In-door admissions through 10 bedded geriatric ward, laboratory investigations and rehabilitation services.
• Provide services for the elderly patients referred by the CHCs/PHCs etc and refer severe cases to tertiary level hospitals Regional Geriatric Centers (RGCs).
• Provide tertiary level services for complicated/serious Geriatric Cases referred from Medical Colleges, District Hospitals and below.
• Conduct post graduate courses in Geriatric Medicine. Each RGC to produce 2 post graduates (MD geriatrics) every year.
• Providing training to the trainers of identified District hospitals and medical colleges
• Developing/and updating Training modules, guidelines and IEC materials.
• Research on specific elderly diseases.
National Centre for Ageing (NCAs):
• High level tertiary care with 200 bedded facility for multidisciplinary clinical services involving medical and surgical disciplines.
• OPD care in various clinical disciplines. Special clinics like memory clinic, fall and syncope clinic, frail elderly clinic, aids and appliances clinic, implants and cosmetic clinic.
• Day care centre for : Investigations, rehabilitation, respite care, dementia care ,continence care
• In patient care for: Intensive care, acute rehabilitation, diagnostic and therapeutic services, long term rehabilitation service. Human resources development in all sub- specialties of Geriatric Medicine
• Conduct post graduate courses in Geriatric Medicine. Each NCA to produce 15 post graduates (MD geriatrics) every year.
• Developing evidence based treatment protocols for Geriatric diseases prevalent in the country.
• Special focus on care for 75+ aged population
Details of State-wise/UT-wise districts approved under National Programme for Health Care of the Elderly (NPHCE)
SL. NO. NAME OF STATES NO OF DISTRICTS APPROVED
1 Andaman and Nicobar 3
2 Andhra Pradesh 13
3 Arunachal Pradesh 12
4 Assam 27
5 Bihar 38
6 Chattisgarh 27
7 Dadra & Nagar Haveli 1
8 Daman & Diu 2
9 Delhi 11
10 Goa 2
11 Gujarat 25
12 Haryana 22
13 Himachal Pradesh 12
14 Jammu and Kashmir 21
15 Jharkhand 24
16 Karnataka 30
17 Kerala 14
18 Lakshadweep 1
19 Madhya Pradesh 10
20 Maharashtra 28
21 Manipur 7
22 Meghalaya 10
23 Mizoram 9
24 Nagaland 11
25 Odisha 30
26 Puducherry 2
27 Punjab 22
28 Rajasthan 22
29 Sikkim 4
30 Tamil Nadu 31
31 Telangana 5
32 Tripura 8
33 Uttar Pradesh 75
34 Uttrakhand 13
35 West Bengal 27
Details of Regional Geriatric Centres (RGCs)
1. All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi
2. Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi Uttar Pradesh
3. Grants Medical College & JJ Hospital, Mumbai, Maharashtra.
4. Gauhati Medical College, Guwahati, Assam
5. Government Medical College, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
6. Madras Medical College, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
7. Sher-a-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences, Srinagar, Jammu & Kashmir
8. Dr. S.N. Medical College, Jodhpur, Rajasthan
9. Dr. Rajendra Prashad Govt. Medical College, Himachal Pradesh
10. KGIMS, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
11. Rajendra Institute Medical College, Ranchi, Jharkhand
12. Kolkata Medical College, Kolkata, West Bengal
13. Nizam Institute of Medical Sciences, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh.
14. Bangalore Medical College, Bengaluru, Karnataka.
15. B. J. Medical College, Ahmadabad, Gujarat.
16. S.C.B. Medical College, Cuttack. Odisha
17. Agartala Medical College, Agartala, Tripura
18. Gandhi Medical College, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.
19. Patna Medical College, Patna, Bihar