Grant of Dearness Relief to Central Government pensioners/family pensioners - Revised rate effective from 1.7.2017. dt:.28.09.2017
F. No. 42/15/2016-P&PW(G)
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
Department of Pension & Pensioners’ Welfare
3rd Floor, Lok Nayak Bhavan,
Khan Market, New Delhi - 110003
Subject : Grant of Dearness Relief to Central Government pensioners/family pensioners - Revised
rate effective from 1.7.2017.
The undersigned is directed to refer to this Department's OM No. 42/15/2016-P&PW(G)
dated 07.04.2017 on the subject mentioned above and to state that the President is pleased to decide
that the Dearness Relief admissible to Central Government pensioners/family pensioners shall be
enhanced from the existing rate of 4% to 5% w.e.f 01.07.2017.
2. These rates of DR will be applicable to (i) Civilian Central Government Pensioners/Family
Pensioners including Central Govt, absorbee pensioners in PSU/Autonomous Bodies in respect of whom
orders have been issued vide this Department's OM No. 4/34/2002-P&PW(D) Vol.II dated 23.06.2017 for
restoration of full pension after expiry of commutation period of 15 years (ii) The Armed Forces
Pensioners, Civilian Pensioners paid out of the Defence Service Estimates, (iii) All India Service
Pensioners (iv) Railway Pensioners/family pensioners (v) Pensioners who are in receipt of provisional
pension (vi) The Burma Civilian pensioners/family pensioners and pensioners/families of displaced
Government Pensioners from Pakistan, who arc Indian Nationals but receiving pension on behalf of
Government of Pakistan and are in receipt of adhoc ex-gratia allowance in respect of whom orders have
been issued vide this Department's OM No. 23/3/2008-P&PW(B) datd 11.09.2017.
3. In partial modification of this Department OMs of even no. dated 16.12.2016 and 27.04.2017,
Central Govt, absorbee pensioners in PSU/Autonomous Bodies referred to in category (i) in para 2 and
Burma Civilian pensioners/family pensioners referred to in category (vi) in para 2 above, will also be
eligible for dearness relief @ 2% w.e.f 01.07.2016 and @ 4% w.e.f 01.01.2017, in terms of this
Department OMs of even no dated 16.11.2016 and 07.04.2017 respectively. The dearness relief already drawn by the above pensioners in terms of OMs dated 16.11.2016 and 27.4.2017, will be adjusted from the revised dearness relief payable under these orders.
4. These orders shall not be applicable on CPF beneficiaries, their widows and eligible children who
are in receipt of ex-gratia payment in terms of this Department's OM No.45/52/97-P&PW(E) dated
16.12.1997 and revised vide this Department's OM 1/10/2012-P&PW(E) dtd 27.06.2013.
Separate orders will be issued in respect of above category.
5.Payment of DR involving a fraction of a rupee shall be rounded off to the next higher rupee.
6. Other provisions governing grant of DR in respect of employed family pensioners and re
employed Central Government Pensioners will be regulated in accordance with the provisions contained
in this Department's OM No. 45/73/97-P&PW (G) dated 2.7.1999 as amended vide this Department’s
OM No. F.No. 38/88/2008-P&PW(G) dated 9th July, 2009. The provisions relating to regulation of DR
where a pensioner is in receipt of more than one pension will remain unchanged.
issued by the Department of Justice separately.
8. It will be the responsibility of the pension disbursing authorities, including the nationalized
banks, etc. to calculate the quantum of DR payable in each individual case.
9. The offices of Accountant General and authorised Pension Disbursing Banks are requested to
arrange payment of relief to pensioners etc. on the basis of these instructions without waiting for any
further instructions from the Comptroller and Auditor General of India and the Reserve Bank of India in
view of letter No. 528-TA, II/34-80-II dated 23/04/1981 of the Comptroller and Auditor General of India
addressed to all Accountant Generals and Reserve Bank of India Circular No. GANB No. 2958/GA-64
(ii) (CGL)/81 dated the 21st May, 1981 addressed to State Bank of India and its subsidiaries and all
10. In their application to the pensioners/family pensioners belonging to Indian Audit and Accounts
Department, these orders issue after consultation with the C&AG.
11. This issues in accordance with Ministry of Finance, Department of Expenditure's OM No.
1/9/2017-E.11(B) dated 20th Sept, 2017.
12. Hindi version will follow.
Under Secretary to the Government of India
1. All Ministries/Departments of the Government of India/Chief Secretaries and AGs of all
2. Copy for information to Reserve Bank of India(RBI) and all authorized Pension Disbursing
Please visit this Department's website http://pensionersportal.gov.in for the orders on pension matters
including above orders.