‘A leader is like a shepherd’

  • ‘A leader is like a shepherd’
As a leader I have always endeavoured to listen to what each and every person in a discussion had to say before venturing my own opinion. Oftentimes, my own opinion will simply represent a consensus of what I heard in the discussion.
I always remember the axiom: a leader is like a shepherd. He stays behind the flock, letting the most nimble go out ahead, whereupon the others follow, not realizing that all along they are being directed from behind.
I learned that courage was not the absence of fear but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.
As I have said, the first thing is to be honest with yourself. You can never have an impact on society if you have not changed yourself. Great peacemakers are all people of integrity, of honesty but humility.
-
Excerpted from the ‘Long Walk to Freedom’ by the former South African president,
Nelson Mandela

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GREAT HOPE : Grant of notional increment to govt servants Superanuated on 30th june or 31st December-reg dated 26th June 2023